Kumihimo Boot Camp: From Fiber to Beads (2 days)
April 20 @ 6:00 pm - April 21 @ 4:00 pmCdn $110.00 +Kit fee: $15 + HST, payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: Learn the traditional Japanese Kongah Gumi (spiral braid) and how to use it to create pattern with fiber and beads. This is a two-day class and will take place Friday, April 20, 6 – 9pm; and Saturday, April 21, 11am – 4pm.
Friday night’s class will cover the basic 8 strand braiding with both S and Z twists and how to evolve it into a 12, and 16, strand braid. The discussion will also cover fiber choices, tension, patterns, set up and problem solving.
Saturday’s class will cover how to reverse the direction of the braid to create changing diagonals.
Also on Saturday: adding Beads to Kongah Gumi is where a love of fiber and beads and creativity can shine. Learn how to select the correct size of braiding cord to match the bead size, create pattern, load beads and problem solve. This class is technique based and when finished you will have a solid skill set and a variety of samples of the skills you learned.
Skill level: Beginner
Technique: Kumihimo techniques with a foam disc
Bring to class: small scissors, round kumihimo foam disc, 8 small no-tangle plastic bobbins (more if you have extra)
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.