- This event has passed.
Lapidary: Cutting Cabochons 1
August 18 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pmCdn $225.00 +Kit fee: $15 payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: You love gems and stones and have lots of ideas on how to use them – now learn how to cut them yourself with the expertise of artist and instructor Boris Kolodny! This one-day introductory class will teach you how to cut a shape from a ‘rough’ slab and then grind it to a beautiful flat back cabochon that you can use in your own designs.
You’ll learn how orientate the cabochon for best color, pattern, or orientation, and to try to cut around any fracture lines or flaws in the stone. You’ll then take the rough shape and take it through several grinding and sanding phases to finish it off. The final step is the polishing. Note a kit is required; see details below. A maximum of three students can be accommodated in the class. Depending the student’s aptitude and time available, you may be able to cut and polish two stones during class time.
Skill level: Beginner
Technique: Lapidary, cabochon cutting
Bring to class: Creativity and enthusiasm! Lapidary is a messy process with a lot of standing! Wear comfortable shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Bring a studio apron; the longer the better.
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.