- This event has passed.
We Remember Beaded Poppy (2 days)
September 28 @ 5:00 pm - 9:00 pmCdn $95.00 +Kit fee: $30, payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: This class with Artisan and Educator Naomi Smith is a wonderful introduction into indigenous raised beading techniques to a beautiful embossed beaded poppy. The poppy can be worn as a pin or as a neck piece. A unique construction method with be part of the learning experience.
This is a two-day class and will take place Friday September 28, 5:00 to 9:00pm, and Saturday September 29, 9:30am to 4:30pm.
Skill level: All levels
Prerequisite: Comfort with hand sewing is an asset.
Technique: Participants will learn how to create beaded poopy using embossed or raised beading techniques. Working with deer hide will also be explored.
Bring to class:
- 10/0 seed beads in following colours: dark green, medium green for poppy edging and centre of Poppy (25 grams or a hank).
- 11/0 true cut/single cut seed beads in medium or bright red, for the poppy petals (20 grams or a hank). Regular seed beads will also work.
- 11/0 seed beads medium AB metallic green or teal blue AB for the poppy key lines, 25 grams or a hank.
- 8/0 true cut/single cut seed beads in AB green, OR dark blue, OR bronze (very small quantity, 10 grams). Regular seed beads will also work.
- Bring a lunch for Saturday; coffee and cold drinks will be available.
- Flat nose pliers (or use classroom pliers), small scissors, magnification if required.
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.