Stitch Bits: Exploring the Zen of Fibre, Thread and Beads
August 19 @ 11:30 am - 4:00 pmCdn $55.00 +Kit fee: $10, payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: Have you been saving up scraps of fabrics, and embellishments? Are you interested in taking a more meditative approach to stitch? Learn to make a series of small art pieces, that include recycled items, forgotten projects, fibre, hand and bead embroidery. Finished pieces, could be used to make cards, framed, or even joined together to make a larger piece. Finishing options will be discussed.
Skill level: All levels
Prerequisite: Comfort with a needle and thread would be an asset, but not entirely necessary.
Technique: A relaxing, meditative approach to simple hand, and bead embroidery.
Bring to class: Scissors, plus any fibres, trims, and embellishments that you would like to use to personalize your piece(s). Some papers would also be suitable, but they should not be too fragile. Used teabags (dried, and with the leaves removed), watercolour, Japanese, Nepalese, or Korean papers, would be suitable. Anything vintage would be fabulous on these pieces, so think of lace, tatting, hankies, and teacloths.
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.