- This event has passed.
February 23 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pmCdn $80.00 +Kit fee: $25, payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: Led by First Nations instructor Naomi Smith, you’ll create a functional and decorative 3-D beaded Strawberry Emery influenced by a century-old Native American design. The Strawberry remains an esteemed symbol of Woodlands Native Culture. Beautiful silk and velvets make up the main body which is finely beaded using size 8/0 crystal AB seed beads, and 11/0 or 10/0 seed beads. As a way of honoring the history of this piece, antique beads will be incorporated into the design. Traditional Native teachings will be part of the learning experience.
Skill level: All levels
Prerequisite: Comfortable with hand sewing
Technique: Bead embroidery on a three-dimensional object.
Bring to class: Basic sewing kit consisting of: small scissors, magnifier (if needed), flat nose jewellery pliers, pen and notebook. Participants will need to purchase the following beads: a tube of size 8/0 AB Clear (Czech or Japanese is ok), tubes/hanks of 10/0 or 11/0 seed beads in following colours: opaque white, AB clear and choice of colour for seeds (you can opt for gold-plated seed beads if you want a fancier strawberry).
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.