- This event has passed.
Wishy, Washy and Whimsical Altered Metal Washers
October 25, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pmCdn $40.00 +Kit fee: $20, payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: A fast and easy, mixed media technique, for turning metal washers, into fabulous gifts! It’s low-tech, easy, with a fairly inexpensive base. Metal washers are readily available, as they can be sourced from hardware stores, or even better, stolen from your husband! If you’re looking for the unusual, with a huge impact, then this is the class for you! I’ll teach you how to work with the paints, Alcohol Inks, Vintag Patinas and Iced Enamels, then demo how to wire wrap the connectors (don’t worry, I’ll let you practise on a few beads), and add the final coating of Ice Resin. Your finished washers will be suitable for bracelets, pendant and/or necklace components.
Washers are just the beginning, as the altering techniques can be used on other metal forms, shapes and objects. Think of it as a mixed media play date! We will have a lot of fun!
Skill level: All levels
Technique: Mixed Media. Students will alter metal washers, via the use of paints, Vintag Patinas, Alcohol Inks and Iced Enamels (cold enamels). They will end up with enough washers to construct either a bracelet & pendent, or a necklace.
Bring to class: Round nose pliers, chain nose pliers and flush cutters (BeadFX will have some you can use in class). Heat tool (scrap bookers use them for embossing powders), if you have one. Gloves, if you don’t like to get messy. Pen and paper for notes. Please note that heat tools are not available at BeadFX; they are available through Michael’s, scrapbooking and art stores and possibly Walmart.
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.