Wrap your way to beautiful designs with Kaska Firor

BeadFX is proud to present six classes with artist, designer and author Kaska Firor! Kaska is a very well-known wire weaving artist and regularly teaches at Bead and Button, North America’s largest jewellery-making conference in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

“I fell in love with wire arts the moment I picked up a pair of pliers in my first wire wrapping class in the summer of 2001,” says Kaska. “It was the way those small wire tools felt in my hands, so naturally and comfortably, and the irresistible magic of wire, its ability to transform into different shapes and patterns, that completely captured my imagination. After that first class in 2001, I spent several years working with traditional wire-wrapping techniques, improving my skills and experimenting with various types of wires and tools.”

“I have been making art all my life. Some of my best childhood memories include cutting, gluing, pasting, carving, or building something. Art has always found its way into my life. I spent five wonderful years drafting and building models while studying Interior Design in college. Over time I also dabbled in bronze casting, clay sculpture, stained glass, sewing, crocheting, and even cross stitch. But wire jewelry proved to be the thing that stuck – at least so far.”

“One aspect of wire-weaving that proved to be especially exciting to me was its many ways of capturing stones and other elements. During my wire-wrapping years, I developed an appreciation for the stone as a focal piece, with the design growing around it, dictated by the shape of and the patterns with it. It was important to me to continue that emphasis on the stone as I started shifting my focus to wire-weaving.”

The classes being presented at BeadFX are all beginner or beginner plus – but you wouldn’t know it by looking the projects! They are all stunning; reflect the various weaves and encompass many design aspects of the wire art. These beginner/beginning plus level classes are the perfect way to introduce yourself to wire wrapping or to perfect your beginner skills with Kaska.

Intro to Over-Under Weave
Friday, October 4; 10:00am – 1:00pm
This class introduces the fundamentals of wire weaving. Students will learn the most basic weave while creating several shapes that can be put together into a fun necklace. Skills learned in this class can be used to create bracelets, necklaces and bails for pendants. The focus of the class will be on learning the technique and improving the skill level. Students will learn the secrets for keeping their weaves even and consistent. Beginner.

Intro to the Over-Over Weave
Friday, October 4; 2:00 – 5:00pm
This class introduces one of the most popular weaves used by many wire artists today. You will learn the most basic version of the weave while creating this elegant necklace. Instructor will provide some pre-made elements so that students can focus on learning the weaving techniques. Beginner.

Make your learning complete by taking both the Intro to Over-Under Weave and the Intro to Over-Over Weave class on the same day. Save on the class fees for both classes; you must register for both classes at the same time.

Teardrop Pendant
Saturday, October 5; 10:00am – 1:00pm
Create this beautiful pendant using simple wire weaving and wire shaping techniques. Students will be given precise instruction as how to create the pendant from start to finish, but will also be encouraged to customize the finishing touches in order to create a one-of-a-kind design. Beginner.

Bead Ring
Saturday, October 5; 2:00 – 5:00pm

The class will focus on understanding the basic construction and design and will explore techniques for proper ring sizing. Ideas for customizing the design will be discussed. Advanced Beginner.

Looped Stone Pendant
Sunday, October 6; 10:00am – 1:00pm

Learn how to encase a stone in a looped wire net while creating this fun pendant. Students in this class will learn the secrets to making uniform looking and tightly fitting loops that hold the stone securely. This class will focus on learning how to use the wire-looping technique for capturing differently shaped stones. Beginner.

Alita Necklace
Sunday, October 6; 2:00 – 5:00pm

Using two different colours of wire, you’ll make this intricate necklace using several wire techniques. Expand your skills as you learn to weave in tight spaces and how to shape your wire into a graceful design to fit inside a small frame. Students will learn hand and tool wire shaping techniques, and how to tell which one to use when for the best results. Advanced Beginner.

For on-line registration and complete information, including class and applicable kit fees, click on the class title.