- This event has passed.
It’s a Puzzling Thing: Woodlands Puzzle Pouch (2 days)
December 14, 2019 @ 10:00 am - December 15, 2019 @ 4:00 pm$110.00 +Kit fee: $45, payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: The Woodlands puzzle pouch features raised and flat bead embroidery on both sides of the bag. Puzzle pouches are an interesting Woodlands indigenous design. The pouch doesn’t open up the way people expect, there is a secret way of getting into the puzzle pouch so indeed it is a puzzling thing.
It was thought the puzzle pouch was often used as a way to entertain others. Hand the pouch to someone and ask them to figure to how it opens… thus the mystery is revealed. As with all my workshops – Traditional Native teachings will be part of the learning experience.
Note: This is a two-day class: Saturday, December 14 and Sunday, December 15; 10am – 4pm both dates.
Skill level: All levels
Prerequisite: Comfortable with hand sewing.
Technique: Bead embroidery using flat and raised techniques, Indigenous edging. Working with deer hide and bag construction.
Bring to class:
- Basic sewing kit consisting of: bead mat (unless supplied by venue), small scissors, magnifier (if needed), flat nose jewellery pliers, pen and notebook. Leather thimble.
- Magnification, if required.
- As these are full day classes, please bring a lunch. Coffee and cold drinks are available.
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register for all classes and open sessions either on-line, in-person at the store, or by calling the store at (416) 751-1911
- Full payment must be made at the time of registration
- Materials for Virtual classes are the responsibility of the student, unless otherwise indicated in the class description.
- For some metalwork, mixed media and lampwork classes, a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- Virtual classes: Cancellations and refunds will not be permitted once instructions, materials and electronic links to the classes have been emailed to students. Only registered students will be permitted to take virtual classes.
- In-Studio classes: If you need to cancel an in-studio class, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee. If you come to the class unwell (sore throat, fever, cough, shortness of breath, etc.) you will be asked to leave and a refund will NOT be provided.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.