Metal Clay Today has a spring challenge title “There’s No Boo Hoo in Keum Boo“. Love the title! The prize is the Ultralite Beehive Kiln which I have heard wonderful things about. Apparently they have created an even larger beehive as well.
This title may leave some of you wondering: What is Keum Boo?.” Keum boo is a guilding technique to add gold to silver. How can this be done? Our metal clay group used an online video to teach ourselves; I think this is the one we used: Keum Boo Technique in English (thanks to Sabine Alienor Singery. Ironically we did not have a hot plate and tried it out with torches which is a bit more complicated but can be done…unfortunenately I can’t find a sample video.
The rules for the Challenge are as follows:
- Entries must contain metal clay, any brand, any type.
- Entries MUST show off your Keum~Boo skills.
- Should be the artists original design, but if submitting a piece made using another artists’ design, be sure to give that artist credit for the design and have their permission.
- In 250 characters or less tell us the story about your piece… why did you make it, what makes it special.
- Include materials used and dimensions of the piece.
- Only 2 entries per subscriber with a limit of 3 photos per entry, be sure to include a photo of the back of the piece. Should you have any difficulties with this form, just send your photos and information to us at email@example.com.
- All entries must be “G” rated (general audience) as determined by the staff of Metal Clay Today.
- By entering this Challenge you are agreeing to allow Metal Clay Today to include photographs of your work in their promotional materials.
Entries will be accepted between now and May 15, 2013.
Winners announced June 10, 2013.
There are more details at the Metal Clay Today website. Go forth and create…good luck.