- This event has passed.
Beading Without a Net: Intuitive Bead Embroidery
December 1, 2019 @ 11:00 am EST - 5:00 pm ESTCdn $70.00 +Kit fee: $10, payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: Have you ever wanted to journal about something, but just couldn’t find the words? Do you collect special bits and pieces for one of those some day projects? Do you want to make a framed, memory piece? Is your stash of precious items taking over your house? This class is an intuitive, visual journaling approach to bead embroidery.
There are no rules! No one will make you journal, or force you to bead encrust a piece. You can stitch as many, or as few beads on, as you’d like. If you choose, you can journal about your family, your health, your cat, the weather, your mood, life circumstances, or just the simple joy of beading. Don’t worry if you don’t have a theme, because it doesn’t really need to be about anything in particular. There are no patterns to follow, and you don’t need to draw. Your beads and imagination will tell you what to do!
The finished piece will be suitable for framing, but can also be made into a pin, used as the focal in a piece of jewellery, the cover of a mini book, or just tucked away to be fondled in the future. Isn’t it time to get better acquainted with your beads? Finishing and other foundation options will be discussed, but the possibilities are endless!
Skill level: All levels
Technique: A visual journaling approach to bead embroidery with needle, thread, and beads. I encourage the use of vintage items, recycled jewellery, buttons, rust, sticks, found objects, and other treasures. Everything has possibilities! Nothing is safe from your needle!
Bring to class: Regular sewing kit (sharp scissors, favourite needles/thread), needle threader and magnification (if required). Beads, in your chosen colour scheme, and collected or found objects. Including, but not limited to buttons, small rusty items, old jewellery bits, cabochons, twigs, fabric and lace scraps, abandoned projects, those orphan earrings you’ve been saving, and anything else you can think of, except the kitchen sink! Bring fabric and thread, if you prefer to work on a coloured background (cotton batik is my favourite). Any rusted items, should be coated with a spray, or brush on fixative, prior to the day of the class. You will have plenty of time to shop, if you’re missing anything!
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register for all classes and open sessions either on-line, in-person at the store, or by calling the store at (416) 751-1911
- Full payment must be made at the time of registration
- Materials for Virtual classes are the responsibility of the student, unless otherwise indicated in the class description.
- For some metalwork, mixed media and lampwork classes, a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- Virtual classes: Cancellations and refunds will not be permitted once instructions, materials and electronic links to the classes have been emailed to students. Only registered students will be permitted to take virtual classes.
- In-Studio classes: If you need to cancel an in-studio class, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee. If you come to the class unwell (sore throat, fever, cough, shortness of breath, etc.) you will be asked to leave and a refund will NOT be provided.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.