COVID-19: Your safety is our utmost concern
- Due to Provincial restrictions, our classes are being rescheduled. Classes will resume when the closure mandate is lifted and it safe once again to gather and learn. Thank you for your patience during these difficult times.
- This event has passed.
Beading Without a Net: Intuitive Bead Embroidery
June 9, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pmCdn $70.00 +Kit fee: $10, payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: Have you ever wanted to journal about something, but just couldn’t find the words? Do you collect special bits and pieces for one of those some day projects? Do you want to make a framed, memory piece? Is your stash of precious items taking over your house? This class is an intuitive, visual journaling approach to bead embroidery.
There are no rules! No one will make you journal, or force you to bead encrust a piece. You can stitch as many, or as few beads on, as you’d like. If you choose, you can journal about your family, your health, your cat, the weather, your mood, life circumstances, or just the simple joy of beading. Don’t worry if you don’t have a theme, because it doesn’t really need to be about anything in particular. There are no patterns to follow, and you don’t need to draw. Your beads and imagination will tell you what to do!
The finished piece will be suitable for framing, but can also be made into a pin, used as the focal in a piece of jewellery, the cover of a mini book, or just tucked away to be fondled in the future. Isn’t it time to get better acquainted with your beads? Finishing and other foundation options will be discussed, but the possibilities are endless!
Skill level: All levels
Technique: A visual journaling approach to bead embroidery with needle, thread, and beads. I encourage the use of vintage items, recycled jewellery, buttons, rust, sticks, found objects, and other treasures. Everything has possibilities! Nothing is safe from your needle!
Bring to class: Regular sewing kit (sharp scissors, favourite needles/thread), needle threader and magnification (if required). Beads, in your chosen colour scheme, and collected or found objects. Including, but not limited to buttons, small rusty items, old jewellery bits, cabochons, twigs, fabric and lace scraps, abandoned projects, those orphan earrings you’ve been saving, and anything else you can think of, except the kitchen sink! Bring fabric and thread, if you prefer to work on a coloured background (cotton batik is my favourite). Any rusted items, should be coated with a spray, or brush on fixative, prior to the day of the class. You will have plenty of time to shop, if you’re missing anything!
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.