COVID-19: Your safety is our utmost concern
- Due to Provincial restrictions, our classes are being rescheduled. Classes will resume when the closure mandate is lifted and it safe once again to gather and learn. Thank you for your patience during these difficult times.
- This event has passed.
Big Blossom Deer Hide Bag (2 days)
July 13, 2018 @ 5:00 pm - July 14, 2018 @ 4:30 pmCdn $85.00 +Kit fee: $50 payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: This class with First Nation’s instructor Naomi Smith is a wonderful introduction into working with animal hide and then creating a beautiful embossed floral beaded element to embellish the front of the bag. The bag is large enough to accommodate a small cell phone and wallet. Note: a kit is required; see details below.
This two-day class will take place Friday, July 13, 5:00 – 9:00pm; and Saturday, July 14, 9:30am – 4:30pm with a break for lunch.
Skill level: All levels
Prerequisite: Comfort with hand sewing is an asset.
Technique: Participants will learn how to work with deer hide using basic leatherworking and lacing techniques. Woodlands Raised beading methods will also be explored.
Bring to class: The beads used on the sample are Czech; however, you can use Japanese seed beads too:
- 1 hank of 11/0 AB clear charlottes or regular seed beads
- 1/2 hank of 10/0 AB opaque white
- 1/2 hank of AB opaque yellow or colour of choice for flower outline and centre
- 20 grams transparent green AB mix or lustre finish
- 20 grams olive green, opaque or luster. Note: the greens can be your own colour choice, as long as they are contrasting.
- 20 – 25 grams of size 8/0 white opaque
- very small amount of 6/0 white opaque (only 2 beads are needed)
- 1 teardrop bead for centre of flower decorative tassel
- beading needle of choice (to fit size 11/0 beads)
- lunch for Saturday; coffee and cold drinks will be available
- Magnification, if required
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.