COVID-19: Your safety is our utmost concern
- Due to Provincial restrictions, our classes are being rescheduled. Classes will resume when the closure mandate is lifted and it safe once again to gather and learn. Thank you for your patience during these difficult times.
- This event has passed.
Huichol-style Bead Mosaic: Working on a Curved Surface
June 27, 2019 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pmCdn $40.00 +Kit fee: $15* payable to the instructor the day of the class.
Course outline: The Huichol People of Mexico use beads embedded in wax to portray images for ceremonial art. Join Pamela Kearns to learn how to use this ancient, yet easy, technique. Students will learn how to apply the wax to a 3-D wood shape and apply beads to create a design. Students will also learn how to seal the beading. Note: a kit is required for this class.
You’ll see a variety of items that have been done using this style of mosaic beading and learn what works well – and what doesn’t! Students are welcome to bring an assortment of beads of various sizes and shapes (flat-backed shapes work best) to include in their project.
Skill level: All levels
Prerequisite: N/A. You do not need to have taken a previous Huichol-style bead mosaic class
Technique: Creating a mosaic of beads by applying them to wax
Bring to class:
- Magnification if required
- A block of Beadswax*
- A Huichol Bead Applicator*
- If you wish to work with a particular colour theme, please bring a variety of beads in those colours. Shaped beads (with a flat side) and opaque seed beads (size 11/0 and 8/0) all work well.
- *Note: if you prefer not to invest in the applicator and wax for the class, a small amount of wax and wooden skewer will be available for an additional $3.
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: see details below.
How to Register:
- You may register on-line through the form above, or by phone at (416) 751-1911, or in-person at our store.
- Payment is required in advance for registration and may be done on-line at the time of registration or in-person at the store.
- Some classes have associated kit fees, please check class details to see where applicable. Some kit fees are payable to the store, some to the instructor and may be cash only in that case.
- For some studio classes, those using fire-breathing torches and fast spinny things a waiver must be signed acknowledging you have experience or training in their use, and we will ensure you have training to work safely!
- Some classes have age requirements. Students MUST be mature and responsible to work safely to be allowed to take some of our lampworking, soldering, fusing, and some metalsmithing classes.
Class Cancellation Policy:
- If you need to cancel, please let us know 5 days prior to the class. Cancellations made later than that will forfeit the class deposit or fee.
- We may re-schedule or cancel classes if we do not receive the minimum number of bookings, or in case of bad weather or instructor illness. In this case, you will be notified and the fees will be refunded or issued as store credit.