Embellished Orbs: Part 2 – Bead Embellishment
General In-Studio Class outline
Building on the lessons learned in Part 1, you will learn how to further embellish your orbs with beads, buttons, and other objects. You will have the option to bead minimally (but you will need a finished, fabric covered ball to do this), embroider a little more, or go all out and totally bead encrust your art piece.
You will be building a visual journal, and the words, or secrets will be built on a combination of objects you have collected, as well as newer beads, and embellishments.
Fabric, and further embroidery is optional, if you decide to fully bead encrust your piece. But I warn you, this will take a lot of beads, and bits! You will not be finishing your project in this class.
Type of class: This is a physical class in The Studio. The class will be kept small (no more than 4 students). Everyone will be required to wear a mask at all times during the class.
Kit fee: $25.00 payable to the instructor the day of the class.
- 100% wool felt ball,
- embroidery floss,
- beading thread,
- a selection of fabrics,
- miscellaneous beads,
- bits, and findings.
- Please note that the fabrics/beads in the kit are meant to compliment the ones that you have already purchased, or selected from your own stash (see below).
- Written instructions will be provided.
Skill level: All Levels
Prerequisite: Students must already have taken Embellished Orbs – Part 1
Technique: Embellish a 100% wool orb, then add a combination of fabric, and beads.
Bring to class:
- A sewing kit that includes your favourite fabric scissors, pins, embroidery needle, needle threader, plus a selection of scrap fabrics, and threads (embroidery floss, Perle cotton (size 8 or 12), in your chosen colour scheme (or just go all scrappy on yourself, like I do). I suggest using all natural fabrics, such as quilting cotton, shirting, old clothing, denim, linen, silk, etc. Ribbons, and lace would also work, but should only be used to accent the natural fibres. Recycled is best, so don’t go out and spend a lot of money on coordinated fabrics. If you must buy, please consider thrift store, or closet shopping for used clothing/linens. Do you have a friend, or relative, who sews, or quilts? They will have lots of scraps! Sharing is always appropriate, and will be encouraged (both in, and out of class). – If you decide to bead encrust your orb, some of these items may not be necessary, but it’s best to be prepared.
- If you wish to further embellish the orb you completed in Part 1, please bring it to class.
- Beads, buttons, and embellishments. The colour scheme, and style will be entirely yours, but could include old watches, chains, vintage jewelry, failed beading projects, buttons (both new, and old), bead caps, cabochons, pearls, and other embellishments.
- Bring any magnification, and/or extra light that you require.
Of special note: the class patterns and instructions from our classes are for your personal use only. Please respect the intellectual property of our artists/instructors by not sharing, selling, or teaching the patterns you receive from the classes you take.
How to Register and Cancellation Policy: click here